Friday 8 June 2012

wedding beauty

This post is dedicated to make up and hair for my wedding day.  I've had quite the adventures with hair styles over the years and posted some lovely pictures for your enjoyment:)




make up
anyone that knows me well can verify that I don't wear much make up.  I love it and will often wear it to work (not as of late because I'm too lazy) or for special occasions.  my make up is never perfect and I only ever use eyeliner and mascara.  so i knew when it came to my wedding day, I'd need to hire a really good make up artist.  I've mentioned my friend Alycia before and how fab she is (click for her site!) but I never proved it by posting some pictures.
this is how I look on a good day (with no make up)
this is how I look after Alyica has worked her magic
(the picture is small, but I'm wearing winged eyeliner, false lashes and red lipstick-DUH)


hair dilemma
I think that, as women, we often find identity in our hair. I know I did, especially in high school.  Just for giggles. here is a picture of me from grade 11...strangely, I felt like this hair represented "me".
yeah...that's bright pink hair.  It was very high maintenance needing to be recoloured every week or so.  I really wanted pink hair and my mom actually bleached and dyed it for me.  Anyone who knows my mother will be shocked that she supported this adventure!  
I got sick of having pink hair so I dyed it all dark a few months later.  By grade 12 I was embracing my inner hippy and letting my hair go free.
It was long, red and curly...I had curly hair a little kid but it eventually grew straighter.  I loved my hair this way but made yet another dumb decision to cut my hair off...
Super short hair was alright in the summer but looked AWFUL when it grew in.  But David and I met a few months after this happened and I didn't scare him away.

I have spent nearly 4 years trying to get my hair to look the way it did in high school: long, curly and luscious.  I've come close to the length but it always gets in my way, is too heavy and doesn't curl. It just hangs there.  I decided to grow my hair long for our wedding so I could wear it a certain way.  Then I realized that was a dumb idea because it would still be in my way and I didn't want to be one of those brides that waits and waits for their hair to grow so it can be long for ONE DAY...and then cuts it off right away.

This is what I did:
March 2012-Before

After
My hair has almost grown to my shoulders now, which is a lot of length is not much time.  I'm cutting it again so it will be short like the 'after' picture.  I've decided I like short hair; it's easier to look after. 
Having short hair doesn't make me less of a bride that the woman with long, flowing locks.


moral of the story:
There is no moral. You read a long post for nothing.  I don't want to look at my self on my wedding day and not recognize my reflection.  The make up I've chosen to wear is very simple, but classicly beautiful.  It dresses up my face without hiding who I am.  Short hair is what I'm most comfortable with I know my hair will look amazing on my wedding day. 

Bottom line: at the end of them (wedding) day, I hope people aren't talking about my make up or hair style...I hope they are talking about the love they saw between David and I as we transitioned from David Fleming and Christina Yourkin to Mr. and Mrs. Fleming.

No comments:

Post a Comment